FOREUM Interviews with the Funded Researchers
FOREUM continues with its Interview series with the FOREUM funded researchers. These brief interviews are aimed at increasing the visibility of our funded researchers and demonstrate the importance and impact of FOREUM funding on the professional development of researchers.
- Prof. Ingrid Meulenbelt, Principal Investigator of the FOREUM Funded Project "Micro RNAs as Biomarkers in Osteoarthritis" (pump prime grant) and the first female researcher funded by FOREUM. In addition to her experience with FOREUM funding, she provides some insights into the matter of gender equality in academia." - Watch the Interview
FOREUM Session at EULAR Congress 2023
Join us at the FOREUM Session at EULAR Congress 2023 on Friday, 02 June 2023 15:45-17:00!
More information can be found here: https://lnkd.in/eFdiCTdG
Enjoy insightful scientific discussions led by the FOREUM Executive Committee chair Prof. Oliver Distler and FOREUM Executive Committee member Prof. Elsa Vieira-Sousa.
We are looking forward to seeing you in Milan!
FOREUM abstract awards
In 2023, FOREUM awarded two abstracts. One in the area of clinical and one in the translational research category. Congratulations to the winners!
FOREUM Presentation of the results of completed research projects.
Topic: COVID-19 in RMDs
On Wednesday, March 29th FOREUM held a meeting to present the findings of completed research projects.
Once more, it was demonstrated that FOREUM exclusively chooses outstanding scientists who were able to complete their projects despite the significant challenges presented by the pandemic.
The output of scientific publications is remarkable, and we are delighted to have such excellent scientists as part of the FOREUM community.
Please see the publication list below.
Ceccherini et al: In-depth analysis of immunological, genetic and clinical aspects of the thrombo-inflammatory disorder triggered by SARS-CoV-2 and their correlation with autoinflammatory/systemic rheumatic diseases.
- Meroni PL, Croci S, Lonati PA, Pregnolato F, Spaggiari L, Besutti G, Bonacini M, Ferrigno I, Rossi A, Hetland G, Hollan I, Cugno M, Tedesco F, Borghi MO, Salvarani C. Complement activation predicts negative outcomes in COVID-19: The experience from Northen Italian patients. Autoimmun Rev. 2022 Nov 19:103232. doi: 10.1016/j.autrev.2022.103232. Online ahead of print. PMID: 36414219
- Englund et al: The impact of COVID-19 and national COVID-19 policies on people with rheumatic diseases; the CORE (COVID-19 in rheumatic diseases) project.
- Kiadaliri A, Magnusson K, Turkiewicz A, Dell'Isola A, Runhaar J, Bierma-Zeinstra S, Englund M. Impact of the first wave of the COVID-19 pandemic on healthcare use in osteoarthritis: A population register-based study in Sweden. Osteoarthr Cartil Open. 2022 Jun;4(2):100252. doi: 10.1016/j.ocarto.2022.100252. Epub 2022 Mar 4.PMID: 35261990 Free PMC article.
- Dell'Isola A, Kiadaliri A, Turkiewicz A, Hughes V, Magnusson K, Runhaar J, Bierma-Zeinstra S, Englund M. J Exp Orthop. The impact of first and second wave of COVID-19 on knee and hip surgeries in Sweden. 2021 Aug 13;8(1):60. doi: 10.1186/s40634-021-00382-7.PMID: 34389919 Free PMC article.
- Velek P, de Schepper, E, Schiphof D, Evert van Spil W, Englund M, Magnusson K, Kiadaliri A, Dell'Isola A, Licher S, Bierma-Zeinstra S, Runhaar J. Changes to consultations and diagnosis of osteoarthritis in primary care during the COVID-19 pandemic. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 22023 Mar 5;S1063-4584(23)00699-4. doi: 10.1016/j.joca.2023.02.075. Online ahead of print.
- Magnusson K, Kristoffersen DT, Dell'Isola A, Kiadaliri A, Turkiewicz A, Runhaar J, Bierma-Zeinstra S, Englund M, Magnus PM, Kinge JM. Post-covid medical complaints following infection with SARS-CoV-2 Omicron vs Delta variants. Nat Commun. 2022 Nov 30;13(1):7363. doi: 10.1038/s41467-022-35240-2.PMID: 36450749 Free PMC article.
- Kiadaliri A, Turkiewicz A, Magnusson K, Methi F, Dell’Isola A, Runhaar J, Bierma-Zeinstra S, Englund M. Pandemic lockdown restrictions and COVID-19 hospitalization and deaths in patients with rheumatic and musculoskeletal diseases. Preprint from Research Square, 12 Aug 2022 DOI: 10.21203/rs.3.rs-1584534/v1 PPR: PPR531340
- Pablos et al: Telomere length in COVID-19: Biological aging and susceptibility to severe disease.
- Retuerto M, Lledó A, Fernandez-Varas B, Guerrero-López R, Usategui A, Lalueza A, García-García R, Mancebo E, Paz-Artal E, Sastre L, Perona R, Pablos JL. Shorter telomere length is associated with COVID-19 hospitalization and with persistence of radiographic lung abnormalities. Immun Ageing. 2022 Aug 22;19(1):38. doi: 10.1186/s12979-022-00294-9. PMID: 35996190; PMCID: PMC9394033.
- Pers et al: Deciphering a specific signature of the immunosenescence induced in COVID-19+ patients versus rheumatoid arthritis patients.
- Welsh et al: Assessing the impact of COVID-19 on Rheumatic and Musculoskeletal Disorders in primary care: an observational study of UK national primary care electronic health records (SNIPE).
- Welsh, Victoria, Claire Burton, Kelvin Jordan, James Bailey Mr, Kayleigh Mason, Ram Bajpai, Christian Mallen, Martin Frisher, and Danielle Van Der Windt. 2022. MuSculoskeletal paiN durIng the COVID-19 PandEmic: An Observational Study of UK National Primary Care Electronic Health Records (the SNIPE Study).” OSF. October 20. doi:10.17605/OSF.IO/RJ56X.
FOREUM Interviews with the Funded Researchers
FOREUM announces the start of the Interview series with the FOREUM funded researchers. These brief interviews are aimed at increasing the visibility of our funded researchers and demonstrate the importance and impact of FOREUM funding on the professional development of researchers.
- Erdal Sag, MD, MSc, Principal Investigator of the FOREUM Funded Project 027 "The effect of T cell exhaustion profiles of synovial fluid and peripheral blood from juvenile idiopathic arthritis patients on disease pathogenesis and prognosis " - Watch the Interview
FOREUM Webinar with EULAR Research Center
Watch the webinar recording here.
Monday, 03 October 2022, 17:00-18:00 CEST, Title: EULAR Research & FOREUM webinar: Topic call. We would like to draw your attention to what you need to consider if you want to apply for a Topic Call at FOREUM. This is going to be particularly interesting as the new Topic Call on E-health has just been launched.
FOREUM call for proposals
The deadline for submitting applications for FOREUM call for international fellowships is approaching!
For more information on how to apply for this research exchange experience visit here, and make sure you send your proposal by 04 September 2022!
Don't forget to let your fellow researchers know and spread the word of this exciting funding chance!
Upcoming Webinars with EULAR Research Center
Tuesday, 20 September 2022, 17:00-18:00 CEST, Title: “Patient involvement in basic research: Challenges and opportunities”. One of our funded researchers will talk about her experience with patient-involvement in the basic science project.
Monday, 03 October 2022, 17:00-18:00 CEST, Title: EULAR Research & FOREUM webinar: Topic call. We would like to draw your attention to what you need to consider if you want to apply for a Topic Call at FOREUM. This is going to be particularly interesting as the new Topic Call for E-health will be launched a week before this webinar.
FOREUM Gender & Geographical Analysis of Funded Projects and Staff
FOREUM foundation is also concerned about gender equity in the allocation of research funds to female and male scientists.
We thoroughly analysed the allocation of all previous project funds to PIs. The findings are summarized in a report which you can see here.
In conclusion, as more men are supported, there is still an imbalance. As a result, we've formed a working group to discuss potential solutions and improve support for young families in research