FOREUM Call for research proposals on remission and flare
Remission and Flare: New potent drugs and novel disease management strategies lead to higher remission rates in patients suffering from various rheumatic and musculoskeletal diseases (RMDs) such as rheumatoid arthritis, spondyloarthritis and systemic autoimmune disorders such as systemic sclerosis (SSc) or systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). However, remission or low-disease activity can often not be sustained, resulting in disease activity flares.
Flares are much more than just an increase in inflammatory disease activity, and should be considered in a holistic context. FOREUM acknowledges that our scientific understanding of flares in the various RMDs is still limited and calls for research into mechanisms, evaluation, management and prevention of flares to provide good answers to the patient community and to sustain the health of our patients.
FOREUM seeks to support projects in the following areas:
- Better characterisation of the concept of flares
- Optimization of flare disease activity measurements
- Molecular and cellular mechanisms underlying flares in one specific or more RMDs
- Predictors associated with loss of response to one or more specific drugs or therapeutic targets
- Methods to support flares’ prediction including approaches that innovate the prognostic process
- Management of flares within a specific or across diseases including
- Drug strategies
- Personalized medicine approaches
- Integration of the patient perspective
- Characterization of the concept of sustained remission and its monitoring
FOREUM primarily encourages collaboration across Europe and therefore requires multi-centre project applications involving partners from at least three different countries.
Call is closed
Call issue: 27 September 2021
Decisions on letter of intent announced: 14 February 2022
Closing date for full proposals: 10 April 2022